Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day Whatever of the Writing Challenge

It feels like this challenge has been happening for weeks! Today's prompt was a tough one because I had three different story ideas warring in my head. This is the story that won the fight. It didn't win because it was stronger than the others but because it was a different type of story from the previous day's challenges.

Special

When not in use, it sits in a prominent place on the counter. That mug with the small chip in the rim. The chip makes drinking coffee dangerous. Every day, Callie narrowly avoids cutting her lip. Her husband smiles at her over the rim of his pristine mug. He'd never suggest she replace it. The worn photo of Callie as a child with her younger sister saddens him as much as it does his wife. The Mother's Day mug is filled with the ghosts of Callie's lost family.  

For those who are coming to this page wondering why I'm writing these little flash fiction stories, here is the beginning post along with the other challenge days. The prompts come from One-Minute Writer






Tomorrow is the last day of my personal writing challenge!

8 comments:

  1. Ch ipped mugs. To discard or keep. Good short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's tough to write flash fiction and have a complete story. My stories want to be thousands of words longer! Maybe one day it'll be longer.

      Delete
  3. It has been weeks, which is why it feels that way.
    http://pilatesandreiki.com/social-media-basics-pilates-teachers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogging challenge has been weeks. I meant my personal writing challenge that started on Monday. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do hope you'll write more to this story. You really had me :) Great job on the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm not sure where or when these stories will be expanded, but I'm holding on to them for the future.

      Delete