Friday, February 21, 2014

Off-Beat Inspiration through Collaboration


I saved my favorite site for last. As you'll see when you head over to the site, the design of it inspired my own blog design choices. Wait. Don't go yet!

A little background on the site. It was created by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and his brother Daniel. Hundreds of writers, artists, and creative types join together to collaborate on projects for his production company. Anyone can join the site and contribute material whether it's poetry, short stories, music, screenplays, acting talents or original artwork. If any of your work is used in productions, you get paid.

HitRECord has a new television variety show. They've also screened some of the collaborations at Sundance. They've created books filled with works from the community, too.

I just love how they pull talent from the thousands of normal, everyday people who join the site to create these community-based projects that highlight diversity and creativity. It's like immersing yourself in a swimming pool filled with talent.

This story was on the first television show. It was a story submitted by one writer. The voice over, art and music was contributed by other members. I believe the actors volunteered their talents. On the site, you can see who contributed to each production.



Okay. Now you can go check it out!

On a side note, I was nominated for a blog award! I'll have more on that this weekend. I have to do some research and answer questions. I need to prepare properly for it!

That's it for this week's theme. Not sure what I'll be doing next week, but I hope you'll come back to see! If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

12 comments:

  1. My list of things to learn, try and go see is now miles long thanks to you! What a great concept! I wonder how effective it would be for building a portfolio? I'm going to go check it out and see what I can find. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giddily happy to contribute to your to-do list. (Giddily is so a word.)

      Delete
  2. So neat! And congrats on your award! Wohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's for a Liebster, which I saw was compared to a blogger chain letter, but I'm excited anyway! I'll be doing that later this afternoon after work.

      Delete
  3. I must say that though I have healthy vision, I have got to get a pair of those night vision goggles!! It is awesome to hear other's perceptions.

    Congrats on the award! You are a very interesting writer, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw the night vision goggles, I was like OOOoooohhh. Can I buy a pair? I wonder how much they cost!

      Thanks so much for the compliment and the congrats!

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story! I love how the girl's dad bought her such special gift, the gift of stars. :)
    Congrats on the award Missy! You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it makes me tear up a little when I watch it. Don't tell anyone!

      Thanks so much for the congrats!

      Delete
  5. Loved the video about the girl and the stars... a touching story! That site looks like a cool one. Congrats on the award!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very cool site with many talented people. A little intimidating if I'm being honest, but I have to get involved with it somehow.

      Thanks for the congrats!

      Delete
  6. o.k.... so do I dare admit this publicly!! I do have night vision 'binoculars'! Almost forgot about them.. time to dust off and look at the world a little differently, see what it uncovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so completely jealous! As soon as I finish typing, I'm heading to eBay to see if there are any reasonably priced.

      I'd love to hear of your adventures with them. You'll have to share.

      Delete