Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Connections and Random Acts of Creativity

Samantha over at The Marble Jar had a great idea last week for a Random Acts of Creativity Round Up where she is encouraging risk, bravery and creativity. I agree wholeheartedly about embracing risk. I love challenges and risk, so this seemed like a perfect chance to make connections while taking a huge leap.


Last week, I mentioned HitRECord. I've been signed up there for over a month and never added anything to the site. I was quite intimidated. Anyone can use my story for whatever they like. When you contribute, you release the rights to your work, so someone could use my story to add music or pictures or whatever. They still have to attribute the work to you. It's not like they could claim they'd written it, but I have no control over what happens to it on the site! Scary stuff, but exciting.

I uploaded a short story to the site.

I'll include a link for proof, but here's the story I wrote.

Anxiety

A small woman crossed my path today.

On an ordinary day, I wouldn't have noticed her, but today wasn't ordinary. I woke early with a headache that wouldn't quit. The pain spawned bizarre dreams that caused me to wake disoriented and full of anxiety. All through my morning coffee, shower and dressing, that anxiety wouldn't leave me so when she crossed my path, I leaped back in fear.

I'd almost barreled right into her on my way to the subway entrance. When I say small, I don't mean petite or thin or child-like, I mean pixie small. She fluttered three feet off the ground and slipped past me leaving behind a streak of green in the air like the trails of light you see at night when you wave a lighted cigarette.

The instant I walked into the streak, the pain in my head flared like a bright beacon of light blocking my vision and hearing. My body felt weightless, floating in a warm cushion of air. No thoughts crossed my mind. The entirety of my being was focused on the pain in my head until with a thunk and shift, I was standing on the sidewalk.

The moment was quicker than it's taken me to describe. It lasted perhaps a fifth of a second. As I turned in the direction she'd flitted, the trail was still there beckoning me to follow. And follow it, I did. The pain might have wrenched thought from my head, but my body was working on autopilot. There was an urgency to my movements.

I had to find her.

As I entered the mouth of the alley, she was gone, but the light still remained. It arched like a rainbow into a folded piece of paper lying neatly in the middle of the alley. On the cover, my name was scrawled in beautiful, flowing calligraphy.

With shaking hands, I bent over to collect the paper.

My head exploded in another flash of pain and light. When I thudded back into existence, I was already unfolding the paper.

"Dear, dear Michael,
You have been ignoring the pain in your head for far too long. It's the result of a cluster of burst blood vessels. Visit your doctor right this instant, or I'm afraid you won't live to see another sunrise.

Your guardian,
Trina"

The pain. It was making me loopy. My guardian?

I turned from the alley, stumbling slightly as I entered the stream of morning commuters on the sidewalk. I was jostled from the left, and it sent my brain whirling on an axis that made me dizzy. Perhaps a doctor visit might not be the worst thing in the world.

Thirty days later, I was out of the hospital and on the mend. The shaved bit of skin was starting to itch as the hair grew back and the incision scar healed. The first days were a blur of pain and confusion. I never saw the neatly written note again. Who knows if it was my brain finding a creative way to alert me to danger, or whether I really have a guardian.

Does it matter?


14 comments:

  1. What a great story....I want to know more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment.

      There's no more to know! He's healthy. The end.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh...I like this! Kind of odd in a mysterious and cool way! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was his subconscious helping him out! I love the way you led him down the path to take care of his health, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards his unconscious, too. But what if it was a guardian fairy type?

      Delete
  4. I love your stories Missy. They capture me every time. I need you to have your own channel and create these into little stories. I would totally watch your channel all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All Missy, All the Time"? That would be something!

      Delete
  5. Great writing. I'm glad you embraced the risk and posted it on HitRECord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so scary, but since nobody has read it on HitRECord -- as far as I can tell -- then all my scared was for nothing!

      Delete
  6. Wow!! Very interesting! And, I liked the concept of posting it for others to use!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can do pretty much anything with it, too. I'd love to see it smashed with another person's work like with a silly little fairy perhaps!

      Delete
  7. but of course it was a guardian fairy.. doesn't everyone have a guardian fair? or was that just the dust in my house flitting past my eyes.. Kudos for posting to HitRecord! We all need to get out of the comfort zone, try new things.. I'm sure your guardian fairy will guide you well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone *should* have a guardian fairy! That would be amazing.

      Thanks for the encouragement. I'm always smiling at your comments!

      Delete