Friday, February 28, 2014

Connections and Writer's Digest Online

To close out the week's theme of Connections. I decided to write for a prompt that has a bigger following than the others. I've always wanted to participate in a Writer's Digest prompt. Fear held me back. Lots of people will see my writing if I participate. I know it's the entire point of writing. You want people to see your writing and enjoy it, but people will see my writing!


I've added my writing to the comment section over there. It hasn't shown up, but I don't want to be one of those people who resends it four times and ends up with four comments of the same thing! I'll wait to see if it shows later.

The Prompt: You return home from work to find a Dear John letter on your kitchen table. Oddly enough, it's from one of your favorite pieces of furniture. What does the letter say?

(You can imagine how much fun I had with this one, right?)

Dear Missy,

It's with a sad heart that I pen this letter. I thought you could change. I waited years, in fact, for that to happen. But you spent too much time with that computer, typing, typing away on its keyboard as if I couldn't see you from the corner. You were so blatantly obvious about your new love. Your new obsession. Did you even think about me once? About how your disregard for my feelings would effect me? Of course not. All you cared about was your new toy.

After waiting all this time, I've decided that I deserve better. Don't try to come after me. I've taken the cable box. She still cares for me. I'll send for the DVD player later. There's no reason that the children have to suffer from your selfishness. We all deserve better than what you have given us; a dusty corner of the living room where we're unused, unloved, unwanted.

Don't try to find us. We'll be fine without you.


The Television

15 comments:

  1. HA!!! This is great LOL You really are quite creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I grinned the entire time I wrote this.

      Delete
  2. Now this is funny!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I want to hear more. How about a response to the Dear John letter? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to think about what I'd say to my poor television. I broke its tiny, picture-tube heart.

      Delete
  3. poor abused TV! I love this....I am sure it is probably true too! You've got better screens to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! That television was super old. I'm going to find me a new, trophy television.

      Delete
  4. LOL!! You will be okay. I know it!! Just wish "him" the best and live your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to move on! I hope we can at least be friends after the television isn't so mad at me anymore.

      Delete
  5. This was a fun read! I enjoyed the suspense (until the DVD player was mentioned) of what piece of furniture it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that worked! I wanted it to be a surprise.

      Delete
  6. shame on him. you were there all those years watching him, smiling and laughing with him, crying with him and even 'turning him on' (and off) quite often I might add.. He got old, boring, same old thing.. he should have tried harder to get your attention.. tsk tsk.. time for a new 'flashier' one.. on that has 'smart' options for turning on. LOL... you had me going, I love this funny side of you too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! That's true! He stopped caring about his appearance. Didn't care about entertaining me anymore. I'll find another who'll appreciate me more.

      I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. Haha, this cracked me up! I feel this way about our TV now too now that I started blogging! I never watch tv anymore! That is why we got rid of cable! No use paying for it when we never watch it!

    ReplyDelete