Monday, October 13, 2014

Stretching Creativity to the Max


I was afraid for the little guy when I saw that window right next to him!


If you've been a reader of this blog for any length of time, you know that I'm like a squirrel on crack who runs from one shiny thing to another. I love trying new things. If creativity were a physical activity, I'd be one of those extreme sport types. Trying bigger and better things, taking risks, jumping from the side of buildings. Since I'm scared of breaking an arm or a leg, I'll stick to low impact rushes. Thankyouverymuch.

This blog started out as an author blog. Then I honed in on writing creativity. Lately, it's been about creativity in general. Or perhaps it's been more about the exploration of ideas and finding what I love. I like that because it lets me share all my crack with the rest of you. Anyone who is thinking, 'I thought she was a wanna-be writer. What's with all this off-topic stuff?' I'm happy to report that it IS on topic. Although, it's my blog. I could make it about space monkeys if I wanted! (Space Monkeys! If only that were a real thing) 

Under the umbrella of creativity and exploration, I'm going to share with you all the newest venture. Jewelry! 

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking who knew I could craft things. Anyone who knows me is laughing like a loon and pointing at me as they mouth the word "crafter" like it's the most ridiculous thing ever. They've seen rooms I've tried to paint myself. Or the crooked shelf I made years ago. Or when I decided I wanted a beach theme in my bathroom that consisted of one shell-shaped soap dish and a wall hanging.

A few years ago, I took an English Comp class. I barely passed. I hated book reports in school even if I loved the books. I hated writing, or so I thought. Writing doesn't always mean book reports and academic writing and being bad at one doesn't necessarily mean you're bad at another. 

The same thing with my new crafting projects. While I may never be able to craft a shelf because I can't hammer the pieces of wood together, I can be great at other things. I'm finding out so much about myself lately. It's been a blast. 

I wouldn't consider myself a crafter still. You'll never see a holiday shelf in my house. (Well, because I can't make one! Damn shelves.) 

As I was saying, jewelry! Wire wrapped jewelry to be specific. I talked my mother into starting this hobby with me. I didn't start with the intention of selling the items, but I was pleasantly surprised by how great they looked. A little modesty there! I knew they were a hit when the daughters made requests/took some of the rings.

It suddenly occurred to me that this would be a fun way to make a little money. I can spend hours and hours making items. It's a fun way to clear my mind yet still be creative. Etsy is terrific and doesn't cost much to list items. Like most things I do, I jumped in with both feet!

We started an Etsy shop called Pail of Pretty Things.




I'm leaning towards steampunk-type items and funky pieces while my mother is doing more elegant, traditional items. It fits our styles, but gives people choices in our new shop. I'm having a fantastic time so far even if my fingers hurt from wrapping wire!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete