Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Notebooks and Super Powers

During high school, I skirted the line of petty juvenile delinquent and outright criminal activity. Not once could anyone have called me a geek or a nerd. It was buried deep, but it was there. I wasn't hiding from it or shielding it so people would think I was cool. I've always fit in more than one narrow box. I smoked, swore and stole things. At the end of the day, I'd read. Recharging my batteries before a new day of mischief. Yeah, I was a handful.


I'd grown up with a love of books. I read tons and tons. I still remember a book read at age 11. The girl had silver eyes and super powers. I truly loved that book. After reading thousands of books, you wouldn't think that one from age 11 would stick with me, but it did. Probably because I wanted to be able to clean my room using my mind. I gave myself a headache trying to lift a book off the floor.

All the Nancy Drew books; I had them. They might be around still, too. My mother keeps almost everything.

My point is with all that reading, you'd think I'd have given writing a shot. Nope. It never crossed my mind. I hated book reports. I'd never considered that book reports and essays lived on the other side of the world from writing fiction.

I do love to entertain people and make them laugh. I've always loved empty notebooks and school supplies. It wasn't about starting a new year of school either. I just loved the notebooks, pens, stickies and books.

My notebook habit is out of control. I don't even use most of them for much more than scribbling. I write in my computer. A friend gave me a subscription to Scrivener, so I don't need to make notes or write outlines in the notebooks anymore.

I have about nine notebooks in and around my desk. Half-filled with little nothing notes and scribbles.

I didn't end up with any super powers even though I wished for them with all my heart, but I did end up with notebooks, and the need to fill them with stories.

8 comments:

  1. What a nice glimpse into who you are! Nancy Drew books were one of my faves when I was younger, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs* I hope it wasn't a case of TMI: too much information!

      Delete
  2. I just looked up Scrivener--What a cool present you got! I can understand your loss of notebook need... I was imagining what your doodles and scribbles would be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a complete surprise, and I'm still a little overwhelmed with it. So many cool features that I don't know how to use yet.

      The doodles are so random! I'm a bit of a gamer, so I'll have spell rotations alongside word counts for other writing or random thoughts. I just grabbed the first notebook I could get my hands on here next to my desk, randomly flipped to a page, and it had this: "Happy Cleaners" "McBoss/McName", numbers and a doodle of a flower and a clock.

      With no need for brainstorming notebooks my doodling will become even more incoherent!

      Delete
  3. lol about your wish for super powers. I guess your love of reading can count as a super power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. And it allows me to fly to other worlds at the speed of light!

      Delete
  4. I totally LOVE Scrivener!!! Rory and I use it all the time. Nancy Drew was also one of my faves. I'm wondering if you are participating in NaNoWriMo? It would be right up your alley. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I've been fascinated by Scrivener's index cards while writing my latest project, too. It's been so easy to keep track of random thoughts and changes to my outline. Loving it so much!

      Delete