Monday, October 28, 2013

Writing Accountability

I've been procrastinating. I have an 8k word story that I'll be publishing soon. It's a short story and a lead in for people to taste my writing, and hopefully, purchase the next book. A free way for people to experience all that is me.

The problem is that while that free story is done, (I fixed the cover. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.) the second story is not. I'm nervous. I want the story to be perfect, but that is starting to feel like an excuse to hold back so people can't judge my work. This will be the first story I can share with family and friends. There's a lot of pressure.

Every time I've told one of the teenagers to be quiet while I do this mysterious thing called writing will come back to bite me if they are like, "Really? That's why you wanted us to be quiet? To write that?!" Anyone with teenagers knows I'm telling the truth. They are ruthless.

It can't stay inside any longer. I have to shove it out of the nest and see if it will fly. I have a friend who will beta read for me. I sent him the file last night. He's quick and will let me know if he sees problems with it.

This is my accountability entry. You all know I've given it to him. There are expectations here now, too. Certainly the pressure will be enough to crush me soon. That will weaken my resistance, and I'll have to publish!

See how I have to mind trick myself?

Don't judge me. It works!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Missy! I am very excited to see what you have come up with. I'm certain it will be great. Like you said this is the first one too. You are going to learn from this one and get better and better I'm sure. Thanks fro sharing another great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and for the encouragement. I can use it!

      Delete
  2. I also am in the works of my first book. I have 4,000 words written. Mine will be a little longer then 8,000 words. You have to go with your gut, try your best and that will be your best work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting yet so scary, isn't it? Good luck with your writing, too!

      Delete
  3. LOL, teenagers are absolutely ruthless. Good luck on your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Rude, little not-yet-grown people! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Yeenagers are fun aren't they? Lol. What a wonderful accomplishment! Even a short story tskes dedication and hard work. Brsbo! Ps. I eould be scared to. But just do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are...not fun! Kidding. They have their moments, but they are honest to a fault sometimes. It'll crush my fragile writer ego. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Oops. Teenagers! Lol! Stupid smart phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeenagers was like some rare breed of mutant teenager. I was totally with you on it!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like very exciting stuff! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It *is* exciting...and scary and daunting.

      Delete
  7. Go for it girl! You can do this!! Look forward to seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow how exciting! You're right you have to do it now because we all know! But in my experience, you are always your own harshest critic - it will be wonderful I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it horrible? I am definitely my own worst critic, and I'm terribly unforgiving of myself. Like most of us are, I think. We'd be mad if anyone else talked about us the way we think about ourselves. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to see how it goes. Way to go... Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how it goes either! Thanks for dropping by to comment.

      Delete
  10. Goodluck! I definitely know about teenagers, well kids in general. I have a 17 and 12 yr old who would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're something, aren't they? I'm convinced we get kids as babies so we'll love them to death. It gets us through the teenage years when we can remember when they were cute and lovable!

      Delete